June 14, 2012
Growing up, being the vain and self-important little girl that I was, I always loved sharing a birthday with the flag. Not only did it give me a good bit of trivia about myself, but it also meant that my birthday was one of those holidays where even my neighbors who never flew a flag put one up. It was like the whole country was decorating just for me.
Now that I am older and more mature, I recognize that this just isn't so. But I still like to pretend.
Another tradition I have carried through the years is taking my birthday to do some self evaluation. Some years I am happier with where I am than others, and I figure that is normal. I am pleased to report that as of today, I am a pretty happy lady.
The past year was a busy one. While I am still working at pursuing all of my life goals and dreams, I am proud of the strides I have made to pursue it. Every day, I feel myself come one step closer to being a published author, which is the first big stop to becoming a big success. I reconnected with old friends, made new ones and have a rich life.
Instead of freaking out about being 26 (saying it does make me feel a bit ancient), I made a list of 26 things I am thankful for in my life. Here they are:
1. I finished writing two novels.
2. Have two novels in progress at more than 15,000 words each and two at 10,000 plus.
3. Wrote a web series.
4. Founded this fabulous blog.
5. According to Good Reads, I have read more than 400 books. Some may think that's nerdy, but I love books.
6. I have made a living as a writer for more than six years.
7. The author of the Fifty Shades trilogy said she loved my blog and that I was funny.
8. Have lived out of state.
9. Drove a U-Haul truck dragging a car behind it through four states in one night with two kittens in the passenger seat. By myself.
10. Visited 27 of 50 states, plus the District of Columbia (not including airport visits). This includes: Arizona, Arkansas, California , Colorado, Connecticut, Florida, Illinois, Iowa, Kansas, Louisiana, Maryland, Massachusetts, Minnesota, Missouri, Nebraska, New Jersey, New York, North Dakota, Oklahoma, Pennsylvania, Rhode Island, South Dakota, Texas, Utah, Virginia, Wisconsin and Wyoming.
11. Set foot in the Atlantic and Pacific Oceans.
12. Went to Boston in the fall.
13. Partied on Bourbon Street in New Orleans.
14. Visited London.
15. Saw Niagara Falls.
16. Met, conversed with and hugged J.C. Chasez of 'NSYNC, my teeny-bopper crush.
17. I partied at and (barely) survived the Houston Rodeo.
18. Tried and stuck to pescetarianism (vegetarianism plus fish, not some new sexy religion) since August 2011.
19. I graduated from college.
20. I may not have a large extended family, but they are a good one that has given me a lot of memories.
21. My nephew is one of the sweetest, funnies boys in the world, and I am lucky to be his aunt.
22. I have amazing friends who, for whatever reason, continue to humor me and my ridiculous ideas, laugh at my jokes and listen to my whine about the same few problems over and over.
23. I have had five pets in my lifetime, and each was/is wonderful and made my life better: Taz, Hopper, Buddy, Bingley and Jane.
24. I have an awesome little sister who is also my best friend.
25. I may complain about them, but my bromates are good guys who I know I can count on when needed.
26. I have two wonderful parents who gave me life and taught me how to live it.
Thanks to all of you for being part of my life. Having awesome people enriches me as a person. Be sure to enter this week's Birthday Month Giveaway for your chance to win one of two free books. Click here to read about how (it's super easy).
Receive Change the Word's latest updates in your Inbox. Subscribe by entering your information under "Follow by email" in the sidebar. Follow me on Twitter @lmchap or "Like" Change the Word on Facebook.