It's the last day of 2013, and it's been a ride. We've had some great times together, 2013, but I think it's time for us to move on a see other people. (I hear 2014 has a lot going for it, so I'd like to check it out.) But before we say goodbye forever, let's take one final look back at our time together and highlight some of the best moments in literature, pop culture and my own life.
Consider this a quick clip show from the past year. For whatever reason, I'm the weirdo who has always been a fan of clip shows. From my days watching Friends and the Simpsons to catching The Soup every week on E!, clip shows remind me of favorite moments from the past, which is like saying hello to old friends.
Ranking is a tricky business for me, so don't read too much into the order in which I list.
Top Five Personal Moments
- Releasing two publications, including my debut novel.
- Going on a much-needed vacation to California with my sister to visit my best friend.
- Moving out of my brother's basement and into my own apartment with the kittens.
- Getting cable. At first I worried it would be too much of a distraction, but I've always found distractions.
- Completing National Novel Writing Month 2013 one whole week before the last day - a new personal record for me. Even better, though I took a few weeks off, I'm still writing away and hope to finish my first draft soon.
Top Five Blog Posts
Top Five Reads
Top Five TV Shows
Downton Abbey (PBS)
Game of Thrones (HBO)
Mad Men (AMC)
The Mindy Project (Fox)
Parks and Recreation (NBC)
Top Five Pop Culture Moments
Tina Fey and Amy Poehler host the Golden Globes.
(Ah, and because I love them - here's another clip from the beautifully hosted show.)
Jennifer Lawrence wins the Academy Award for Best Actress
Jennifer Lawrence and Josh Hutcherson promote Catching Fire
'NSYNC reunites on MTV
My BFF Andrew talks about biblical adaptations on GMA
I'm skipping the movie section, this year, because I did a super bad job of going to the movies. I don't even know if I saw five movies, and a few that I did don't belong on this list!
This has been a wonderful year, and I hope you know how much I appreciate the support everyone gave me. Here's to 2014 and lots of joy to come in the new year.
Now you weigh in -- what were your favorite things from 2013?
Receive Change the Word's latest updates in your Inbox. Subscribe by entering your information under "Follow by email" in the sidebar. Follow me on Twitter @lmchap or "Like" Change the Word on Facebook.