Camp NaNoWriMo begins tomorrow, and I'm mentally packing my bags in preparation for attending. In case you don't know, Camp NaNoWriMo is brought to us by the same people who do National Novel Writing Month each November. It's a little different, because it's offered in the spring and summer, and participants can set their own word count goal.
I have participated a few times in the past with mixed results. On one hand, I've never reached my word count goal, which isn't great. But I have always managed to do some writing, which is good. That's why I say mixed. It's always disappointing not to achieve a goal, but writing five words is better than none.
This April, I set my word count goal for 25,000. It's how many words I need to write for a holiday novella that is due to my publisher this summer. So I need to make my word count goal for this month (no pressure). But it's also one I believe to be reasonable. It's half of what I write each November, and if I can average 1,000 words a day, I'll achieve the goal with time to spare.
To help myself succeed this Camp NaNoWriMo, I have taken a few important steps.
1. I've created a map -- an outline of the novella and detailed character sketches. I have a good idea of what I will be writing, which is half the battle, right?
2. I've gathered rations. My kitchen is stocked with basically nutritious, but convenient meals to keep me fed throughout the month.
3. I've tidied my living quarters. Not only will this give me a nice place to work, but it will hopefully help me avoid distractions. (I tend to reorganize my closet or start cleaning when I'm avoiding writing.)
4. I've found a cabin of buddies to help motivate me throughout the project.
5. I have my game face on. While most of my past Camp NaNoWriMo experiences have felt really rushed and last-minute, I'm going into this one feeling pretty good.
So wish me luck, my friends, and if you are also participating, I'm sending positive writing vibes your way.
Stay connected. "Like" Change the Word on Facebook. Follow my other adventures on Facebook, Twitter and Instagram. Receive news updates via my e-newsletter.