At last years of football games, fantasy drafts, and sampling lovely beverages are about to pay off.
I've been a little coy about my next book project. I've dropped a few hints since I started writing it more than a year ago. Like, it's about football, and it's set in Nebraska. And there's a girl who is going to fall for a boy, but there's going to be some sort of strife. (If you've read either of my books, the last clue is a given, right?)
Now that book three has gone through its first round of beta edits (and I'm eternally thankful to the three brilliant and clever ladies who read and commented on my newest baby), I feel a little more comfortable elaborating more on this story.
Here are five facts about my third full-length novel:
- It's about football. Okay, I've already mentioned that, but it has a lot of football in it. The main character joins a fantasy football league, she learns to care about NFL football as a result, a potential love interest is a high school football coach, and she attends a college football game on a date. So... there's a lot of football, but if you aren't a fan of the sport, never fear... For the most part, football is the setting and a catalyst, the main story is about...
- A young woman learning to get over her Type-A tendencies and trying to take more chances that can lead her to happiness. It's about reaching that point in your life when you realize you need to make some big changes, but you're not entirely sure how to go about it. It's about learning to forgive yourself for past mistakes and getting on with your life. I really, really, really want to tell you this young woman's name, but I'm going to hold onto that fact a while longer.
- It's set in Nebraska, more specifically in Lincoln. This was my first time writing a story in my hometown, and there were a lot of things to love about this. For one, I've lived and breathed Lincoln most of my life. I'd like to think I get the people and the atmosphere. Rather than wondering what kind of places my character might go, I already knew. While I love researching places to write about, it was fun to draft a love letter of sorts to my hometown.
- This is the first book in a series. While I didn't set out to make it a series when I initially plotted the story, about halfway through the first draft I realized I had so many ideas for how to develop these characters over a few years, I wanted to keep going. And, bonus, the second novel in the series is in progress. The first draft is more than 75 percent done!
- I conducted several interviews to write this book. Though I grew up in a family of football fans and have played in a few fantasy football leagues, I wanted more perspectives. I interviewed two high school football coaches, someone who is in a serious relationship with a coach, a luxury car salesman, someone who worked in the administrative side of a car dealership, and another friend who has participated in fantasy football through the years. I used to do interviews all the time back in my journalism days, but I kind of felt like a total #blessedballer donning my reporter hat once again.
So... with that, I'm going to get back to making another round of revisions on Book 3. Wish me luck, and I hope you'll enjoy this story.
Stay connected. "Like" Change the Word on Facebook. Follow my other adventures on Facebook, Twitter and Instagram. Receive news updates via my e-newsletter.