This month I was invited to guest curate a shelf in the Chick Lit Shop’s Online Bookstore. I was encouraged to share books, movies, TV shows and other items that I love and/or inspire me as a writer. I wanted to give you a little more insight into my selections. Hope you enjoy!
- Why Not Me by Mindy Kaling - Mindy Kaling is one of my favorite writers, in book and TV form. Her second memoir, this one is particularly motivating as you learn more about how she's broken barriers to build her career.
- The Year of Yes by Shonda Rimes - I'll admit, I've only ever watched one episode of Grey's Anatomy, but I truly admire the career Shonda Rimes has built for herself. In this book, she explains how for one year she said yes to opportunities she might've previously said no to out of fear or other considerations. Totally inspiring.
- Write Naked by Jennifer Probst - I read this book at a low moment in my writing, and it gave me all kinds of motivation to keep going.
- I’ll Be Gone in the Dark by Michelle McNamara - This book kept me up at night both reading and because it creeped me out so much. One of my favorite reads of 2018, this book about the then-unsolved Golden State Killer is a must-read for fans of true crime.
- The Blue Castle by L.M. Montgomery - A longtime fan of the Anne of Green Gables books, I wanted to check out one of the author's books written for adult audiences. And oh. My. Goodness. I completely adore this story and will keep pushing people to read it until I find someone who will sit and obsess about it with me.
- Tribute by Nora Roberts - One of my favorite romantic suspense novels, I included this one on the list because it has a home improvement element to it, like my very own Playing House.
- The Little House Cookbook by Barbara M Walker - This was one of the books that inspired me to look for and recreate dishes in other books!
- The Prize by Julie Garwood - One of my all-time favorite historical romances by one of the first romance authors I read.
- Cravings by Chrissy Teigen - Not only Chrissy Teigen hilarious to follow on social media, but the woman can cook!
- Sliding Doors - This was one of my first British rom coms and years later, I still think it holds up. We all have moments where we wonder "what if", and I love seeing that play out on screen.
- When Harry Met Sally - One of the best rom coms ever, written by one of my favorite writers, and directed by one of my favorite directors.
- The Princess Bride - One of my all-time favorite movies. My siblings and I quote this movie all over the place and I remember watching it constantly as a little girl. I'll still drop everything to watch this one.
- Sense and Sensibility - This is one of the best Jane Austen adaptations out there. Emma Thompson is wickedly talented as the screenwriter and star.
- While You Were Sleeping - Another favorite rom com, this one features a favorite trope: character with amnesia. I'm sure science doesn't totally back it up, but I still love it.
- The Crown - Easily one of the best shows airing right now. It checks a lot of boxes for me: British, royalty, Claire Foy.
- Victoria - This is the British period drama I watch when I want to get that fluttery feeling in my heart. The romantic chemistry between Victoria and Albert in this TV show is SO good.
- The Marvelous Mrs. Maisel - This has to be one of the best written TV shows on the air right now. I devoured the first season and can't wait to watch the second.
- 30 Rock - I love Tina Fey. I love this show. It's one of the biggest influences on my writing.
- Thermos Funtainer 16 Ounce Bottle - I grabbed one of these at the store to take along with me on my travels, and now it's my favorite water bottle. It keeps the water cold and helps me log how many ounces of water I drink every day. And it really does travel well.
- Hearth & Hand Measuring Cup Set - My best friend gave me a set of these for my birthday, and I adore them. Not only are they cute and functional, but I totally feel like I'm hosting my own cooking channel every time I use them.
- Pentel Gel Pens - I picked up a set of these at the grocery store (of all places) last year, and now they're my absolute favorite pen to use. Comfortable in my hand, I particularly like how the gel ink looks on paper. This variety also dries quickly, so bonus!
- The Happy Planner Box Kit - This is my second year using a Happy Planner. I love how easily you can customize it. Plus, stickers!
Click here to check out my shelf in the store.
***Let's take this relationship to the next level. Join my Facebook Reader Group for in-depth discussion on everything from books to our favorite binge-watches. Follow me on Facebook, Instagram, and Twitter for day-to-day shenanigans. Subscribe to my monthly newsletter AND score a free copy of one of my books as my thanks to you. You can also find me on Amazon and BookBub.***